CONDUCTING A COMPETITION ASSESSMENT IN THE POULTRY MARKET OF MALAWI
1.0 PROCUREMENT REFERENCE NO.:CFTC/CS/2020/02
The Competition and Fair Trading Commission (the Commission) is a body corporate established under the Competition and Fair Trading Act, Cap 48:09 of the Laws of Malawi.
The Commission has allocated funds in its 2020/2021 Financial Budget which it intends to apply part of the proceeds of these funds towards the cost of procurement of consultancy services to undertake a Competition Assessment in the Poultry Market of Malawi.
The Commission now invites suitably qualified bidders to submit sealed expressions of interest for procurement of consultancy services.
2.0 OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSESSMENT
The overall objective of the study is to understand the level and nature of competition in the Poultry Sector in Malawi. The study will also focus on cross-cutting as well as sub-sector specific competition and dominance issues in the sector.
Specifically, the study will seek to:
- understand the evolution and foundation of events in the Poultry Sector;
- outline the major poultry subsectors and the key players and stakeholders therein
- understand the market concentration in poultry sectors
- identify major affiliated firms, mergers and acquisitions, associations, agreements, unilateral and collusive conducts in the poultry sector;
- gauge the degree of dominance, market shares, positions of market power and monopolies in the poultry sector, if any;
- establish levels of exports and import competition in the industry;
- establish entry trends and barriers to entry in the sector;
- understand cross-cutting competition issues and public concerns in Malawi’s poultry sector; and
- gather any other relevant information in the sector
3.0 REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
The Commission is looking for consulting firm / consultant(s) with a strong track record in the field of Economics, Statistics, Research and/or Business Management, and a minimum academic qualification of a postgraduate degree. Although a PhD will be preferred, consultants with Master’s Degree and reasonable experience will stand an equal chance. Knowledge of Competition Law and/or Competition Policy will be an added advantage. Precisely, the Consultant should have, but not limited to, the following skills and competencies:
- In depth knowledge of poultry sector and industrial economics theory and practice. Knowledge and/or experience in Competition Law/Policy will be an added advantage;
- Demonstrable experience in conducting high-quality and credible studies;
- Familiarity with relevant methodologies for Competition Studies.
4.0 APPLICABLE LEGISLATION
Expressions of interest will be evaluated in accordance with the Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Act of 2017. Participation is open to all eligible bidders.
A Request for Proposal Document shall be issued to the shortlisted bidders to submit their proposals which shall be evaluated based on Quality & Cost Based Selection (QCBS).
5.0SUBMISSION OF EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Interested eligible bidders may submit expressions of interest which should include the following: Certificate of Business Registration, Tax Payment Certificate, Tax Clearance Certificate, and Names and CVs of the Directors and the Lead Consultant.
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below at or before 26th June 2020. Late submissions shall be rejected.
The expression of interest must be submitted both in hard copy and electronically to:
Internal Procurement and Disposal Committee
Competition and Fair Trading Commission,
Off Presidential Way,
Golden Peacock Office Complex – 6th Floor,
Private Bag 332,
Capital City, Lilongwe 3;
Email: [email protected]
6.0 FOR CLARIFICATION
Bidders who shall need clarification MUST contact Senior Procurement Officer on phone number +265 888 550 539 (mobile) or email [email protected]. (Working Hours only)