The Competition and Fair Trading Commission (“the Commission” ) is a Statutory body established under the Competition and Fair Trading Act (the Act)) Chapter 48:09 of the Laws of Malawi. The objective of the Act is to safeguard and encourage competition and fair trading in Malawi. In this regard, the commission is responsible for ensuring that businesses are not engaged in anti-competitive trade practices; and regulating and monitoring monopolies and concentration of market power thereby strengthening efficiency of production and distribution of goods and services, securing the best possible conditions for freedom of trade, safeguarding consumer welfare and setting a favourable operating environment for expansion of the country’s entrepreneurship base.
General Description of the job
The Internal Auditor shall be responsible for providing independent and objective assurance on the efficacy of control systems, corporate governance and risk management.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The following are the key duties and responsibilities commensurate with the position:
- Planning, developing and implementing audit systems, programmes, strategies and budget.
- Reviewing and advising on effectiveness and adequacy on financial and operational systems and procedures.
- Checking compliance with internal control procedures, statutory rules and regulations.
- Identifying key risk areas in consultation with management and advising on requisite internal control systems and strategies for safeguarding resources.
- Preparing internal audits and preparing reports for submission to the board of commissioners.
- Checking management accounts for errors and completeness
- Monitoring implementation of the audit recommendations.
- Collaborating with external auditors on audit matters.
- Conducting investigative audits in liaison with relevant stakeholders.
- Undertaking pre audit and post audit of financial, stores and personnel records as may be necessary.
- Maintaining audit files and audit registers.
- Following up on audit queries to ensure audit observations are properly and adequately addressed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Auditing
- Professional qualification in audit related field will be an added advantage
- A minimum of Four (4) Years’ experience in a busy office.
- MUST be registered with Institute of Internal Auditors
- Must be registered with Malawi Accountants Board (MAB)
Key Competencies and Experience
- Good command of quantitative analysis and documentation skills.
- Strong Communication Skills and problem solving abilities
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and make sound judgement
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills.
Appointment and Remuneration
Note that this is a permanent position whose engagement is subject to initial 3 months’ probation period and confirmation of employment shall be dependent on the successful candidate meeting the agreed performance targets. The successful candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits in accordance with the Commission’s Conditions of Service.
Method of Application
Applications including detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV’s), photocopies of relevant certificates and names and contacts of at least three (3) traceable Referees should be sent to the following address not later than 24th July, 2023.
The Executive Director
Competition and Fair Trading Commission
Golden Peacock Office Complex,
Off Presidential Highway, Floor no 6