Under Section 8 of the Competition and Fair Trading Commission, it shall be the function of the Commission to regulate, monitor, control and prevent acts or behaviour which are likely to adversely affect competition and fair trading in Malawi. Under this section, the functions of the Commission are as follows:
- Conducting investigations into business practices or conduct to determine whether any enterprise is engaging in anti-competitive and unfair trade practices.
- Conducting investigations to determine the effect of a proposed merger on competition and the economy as a whole.
- Taking any such action, considered necessary and expedient, to prevent or redress the creation of a merger or the abuse of a dominant position by an enterprise.
- Protecting consumer welfare: Investigating unfair trade practices including violations of consumer rights and taking necessary steps to facilitate redress.
- Providing advocacy and education programmes to business persons and consumers on their rights and obligations.
- Undertaking market studies and make available public reports regarding the operations of the Competition and Fair Trading Act.
- To cooperate with and assist any association or body of persons to develop and promote the observance of standards of conduct for purposes of ensuring compliance with the Competition and Fair Trading Act.
- Advising the Minister on competition and fair trading matters as and when requested.